Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Health Plans

My Food Choices
I've always been somewhat laterally conscious of my food choices, at least on a surface level.  And every time I made a poor food choice I allowed guilt to set in, but then I immediately stuffed it way deep down into a little pocket in my heart which I reserved for "I'll try again later".
It wasn't so much that eating these scrumptious, high-calorie, sugar-laden, nutrient-lacking foods didn't satisfy my palette.  On the contrair, I quite enjoyed my slices of pumpkin pies and chocolate cakes during the holiday season or my weekend pizza excursions at Papa Johns with my family.  I still do, in fact.  And I will continue to enjoy them!  (I don't plan on putting a halt to enjoying my life, you know).  
But this time around...in the latest and newest part of my journey of discovering better health...I want to make wiser choices the majority of the time.  And when I do make a choice to choose the sugar-laden, nutrient-lacking food, I would have at least made a deliberate and well-thought-out decision.  It won't be something I make a habit of, but it will be an option I have to enjoy the less nutritious foods in moderation and balance it with a majority of healthy foods. So maybe I'll shoot for a 90/10 proportion.  Something like that. (90 being the good foods, of course).
My Food Plan
So...for the most part I start my journey as a total meat consumer with plans to phase out the meat s-l-o-w-l-y.  I plan to start by cutting the red meats out of my diet completely and replacing it with white, lean meats and fish, and adding a heaping of veggies to my weekly menu. 

So, I guess you can say that I am working towards semi-vegetarianism.
As much as I would like to jump gung-ho into veganism (no, I really don't), I realize that too many changes too soon is not gonna be a wise choice for this mama!
I almost called this blog "Green Journey Mom" until I realized that I haven't been much of a "green" anything lately (except that since moving to California we recycle every week-yay).  So I couldn't truthfully call my blog that because I am only now discovering all the eco friendly toys that I wish I could buy for my kids.  Only the price tags on those adorable, wooden (not-made-in-China) toys don't actually match my budget.  Hmmmm...
Okay, so back to my food plan.
On this blog I hope to introduce new (and old) recipes that work for my family- quick and easy healthy snacks, tips and advice others have passed on to me about being healthier overall...and of course, I will be chronicling my journey as I clean up my family's diet.
My Soul Plan
That's called "me" time.  I honestly haven't had a lot of that, what with two moves in six months (one being cross-country), and a lot of to-do lists including keeping up with the kids' activities and re-arranging/reorganizing our home for the umpteenth time (not to mention the basic routines of cooking, cleaning, laundry, you get the picture).  So besides an occasional bubble bath, I really haven't been on my own list of to-do's.  I plan to change that this year.  I think as I settle more and respect my own body more, I can hear a little more clearly God's voice speaking to me in those quiet times.  Of course, when I'm not so quiet because I'm so super busy, it's really difficult to gain that spiritual nourishment I crave.
My Family Plan
I'm an at-home entrepreneur, so I used to have a "business plan" projected for each year.  This year I've decided not to let business be my focus.  Instead, I'm going to focus on the health and well-being of my family.  I believe that when I focus on what inspires me at the moment, everything I need in life will flow out of it.  So, family it is.  I hope to spend lots of meaningful time together making new memories in our brand new home.  This is a really exciting time in my life and I am so blessed to have a family.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment